The Horsey Family Youth Foundation celebrated their 12th year of existence but without the presence of their founder, David G. Horsey who passed away earlier this year.
However the family members carried on the tradition with a capacity dinner crowd held at the Heritage Country Club Wednesday evening.
The Foundation founded in 2004 has helped youth programs from Wilmington to the eastern sore of Virginia serving 4,000-5000 kids annually.
Nearly $900,000 has been disbursed to these youth programs with 69,000 raffle tickets being sold.
The Foundation is unique in that no salaries or traditional overhead expenses are charged to the Foundation. Not one of the Horsey family individually or their affiliated companies charge any salaries or other fees to oversee the Foundation.
Tickets are given to various organization; Example; for a $20 ticket sold, 75% of the money is returned back with in a week. The remaining 25% of the ticket sale is invested with the Delaware Community Foundation. In august of the next year, each organization will receive an endowment based on the ticket sales from the previous year, from the Delaware Community Foundation. For the remaining $5 the organizations will receive an average of $6.00 or $7.00 for each ticket sold.
A Celebrity Gold Tournament will be held today. Several professional sports celebrities will participate in the Tournament.
Hats off to Ms. Pat and the Horsey Family for their generosity.